John Derbyshire, Manchester
John Derbyshire, based in Manchester started up his own glassworks after breaking away from the family business James Derbyshire and Brothers. He was the first manufacturer to have a trade mark - his initials over an anchor. The first appearance of the marks was in August 1873.
Derbyshire was one of the more dynamic manufacturers producing amazing items both in design and quality. The most popular of which were the lion paperweights inspired by the Landseer lions at the base of Nelson's Column in Trafalgar Square. This, like his other items were available in uranium yellow, green, turquoise, flint and acid etched, with the lions having either crossed (smaller version) or straightened paws.
Landseer Lion paperweights registered 3 July 1874
Derbyshire also produced a sitting figure of Britannia (20 November 1874) and a standing Queen Victoria in Roman garb (1875). Following on from his animal theme, he produced a greyhound paperweight, inspired by a Landseer painting. In 1876, he registered a winged sphinx paperweight (following an unwinged version by Molineaux and Webb in 1875) as well as a pair of Punch and Judy figures in 1880.
Derbyshire produced a great array of decorative items, as well as domestic suites. Not all were registered or had trademarks, but many items have been attributed to him such as the collie dog paperweights because of the tell tale 'oily' yellow and green colouring and the ribbed plinth.
This is a photo taken at the Victoria and Albert Museum of a piano foot rest in the shape of a mammoth's foot showing both the oily colouring and Derbyshire's fondness for pushing the boundaries.
In 1877 the company became The Regent Flint Glass Co. and didn't register any more designs. The future of John Derbyshire is hazy, although in December 1881, an advert from James Derbyshire was placed in the Pottery Gazette giving their address as that of John Derbyshire's so maybe he re-joined the family business.